Thursday, October 23, 2008

Some time away.....

This last weekend my family and I went to my in-laws cabin at Dry Lakes, up near Brian Head. Normally on the opening weekend of the deer hunt we go to my wife's extended family deer camp, about 30 miles west of St. George. Our lives have been so out of control these last few months that we felt like we needed some alone time just for our family. As our kids get older they are becoming involved in more and more stuff, leaving less and less time for our family unit.

Erin is in her eighth year of piano, as well as taking violin lessons and playing volleyball. We sent her to a volleyball camp at BYU in August, and it really helped her skills. She plays on Saturdays starting at 8 am and usually plays until 3 or 4 pm, at different schools all over the county. Also Joshua plays soccer and is taking piano, Jacob plays flag football and is taking piano, and Abigail is in gymnastics. Jen is constantly busy with her church calling, taking meals to people, and running kids to doctor appointments, carpooling, and piano practice. She also babysits two children during the day.

Then there is my time. I work 50 hours per week at my job. My calling as Bishop takes 20-30 hours per week, and I try and help at home as much as I can. It seems like every minute of the day is filled with something, which can be a difficult adjustment for someone who grew up in an environment where I had plenty of time to do what I wanted. I worked on a farm, so I learned to work hard, but when I had time, it was mine to do with as I pleased. So to find some time away, like this last weekend when I went to the cabin with my family, was very special time. I don't want anyone to think that I regret my current life. I don't. I would not change my life or my family or my calling or anything else that is taking up my time, but it does get a little crazy sometimes, and time off is very welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Your lives are crazy. If you can do all that, then surely I can juggle my 35/hr a week job with taking care of an infant who sleeps about 10 hours per day.

    Thanks for the reality check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds way too familiar. Good for you for taking some time away from it all, even if for just a short time.

    ReplyDelete