Saturday, October 25, 2008

Elder Ballard and blogging

I have been trying to implement Elder Ballard's counsel, when he says "Now, may I ask that you join the conversation by participating on the Internet to share the gospel and to explain in simple and clear terms the message of the Restoration." As I visit different religious sites such as beliefnet.com, I am finding it difficult to adjust to a religious/internet culture that very much likes to debate for the sake of debating, but for the most part has very little interest in truly learning about the church. It seems like a waste of time to participate in those discussions when they are at best simple discussions, and at worst vulgar diatribes against the church and the gospel as the LDS church preaches it. Still, I tell myself that I may never know who is influenced by something I might say, so I will continue to participate. Perhaps there is a better way than what I am doing? Maybe a better way will present itself to me as I learn more about blogging and the different sites available.

On a family note, tomorrow my daughter Erin is playing in her volleyball finals. The tournament is double elimination, so they will play until they lose, or until they win the whole thing! I am proud of her for playing so hard even when some days she would rather not. She is learing about what it means to play on a team, and what it means to stick with something until she sees it through till the end. Jennifer, my wife, planned and put on a wonderful ward fall party tonight, with a carnival for all the kids and visiting and companionship for the adults. She works hard and does a great job at her calling. I have more to say about my children, but will wait until I get their pictures on here before I brag about them. (Besides, it's 12:33 a.m. It's time for my bed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment