Monday, October 13, 2008

General Conference

We have always told our children that when they turned eight years old, we would take them to see general conference in SLC. So when my oldest daughter turned 8, I took her to general conference. Then when my son Joshua turned 8, we just didn't get around to it. Now, he's eleven years old, and I was able to get two tickets for the Sunday afternoon session. It was a good opportunity to spend some time with my son, and now that Jeff and Harmony are back from that foreign country (ie, Texas), I was able to spend some time with their family and stay with them Saturday night. I had not seen them for a long time, and we stayed up far too late talking, but I had a great time, and my son did not want to leave when it was time to go.



Sunday morning we left for the conference center in SLC. Traffic wasn't too bad, and we arrived at about 11 am. We wandered around Temple Square for a time, then made our way toward the conference center. We had to pass all of the protesters, and a couple of them were quite vocal. I was told that I was stupid, blind, going to hell, and that I stank (?). Anyway, in spite of that we made it to the conference center. One of the highlights for me was being there with my son. He turns twelve in January and I will be able to ordain him to the priesthood, I wanted this to be a positive stepping-stone for him toward that goal. I think he enjoyed being there, although sitting still for that long was difficult for him. I hope that he will have fond memories of being there, and of hearing the prophet speak in person.

My wife and I are not going take our kids one at a time anymore, though. Next time we are taking the whole family!

No comments:

Post a Comment